Saturday, December 17, 2011

Essential Learning

Hello, all.  Well, I know it's been quite a while since I've posted anything.  Considering today is my birthday, I thought I would go ahead and blog a bit. 

I believe I have something worth mentioning...If you are traveling with your bike and planning on doing some riding I would urge you to consider doing some research on the cycling laws of the state or province in which you plan to ride...as well as the hours during which you plan to ride.  I have been in Clearwater, Florida for a couple of months...and have been informed that, while a helmet is not required, lights are.  8}  It's not important, evidently, to survive the accident.  However, it is vital that you see the accident coming.  Why that's pure delight. 

I love the way drivers treat the lines and stripes on the road as mere suggestions.  They are, apparently, subject to change without notice.  It is their road!! And how dare I invade it with my stupid bike!! 

I have been riding my Specialized 29er.  That thing is heavier than my first wife's meatloaf...and let me tell you, my friends, that's heavy.  So, I am going to attempt to lighten it up.  Change out the crappy suspension fork for the Richey carbon rigid fork.  That will get rid of about 5 unwanted pounds.  New cranks will help, I'm certain of that...not sure which ones I'll go with.  I'll swap the mechanical brakes with the Hayes hydro set up I've been saving for something special.  This qualifies, I think.  And, the ridiculous saddle and seatpost.  I actually believe they weigh as much as the suspension fork.  I think I could find a carbon seat post to help with that.

Well, I hope to get the weight down as much as possible.  If you have any equipment suggestions, feel free, as always, to comment and let me know what you're thinking.  I appreciate any input I can get!  I hope the new year brandishes great and new rewards for each and everyone of you.  I wish for more smiles and less frowns.  More good decisions and fewer errors.  And more laughter!!!  And better and safer accomodations to ride our chosen means of transportation!!  Happy New Year!!! 

Now, get out there and ride your bike!!  :D

The Mature Cyclist,

Robert Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment