Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I Can Still Ride!

I want to start out by commenting on the World Championships coverage at Champrey.  It was fantastic.  Big props to Freecaster!!  The courses, xc and dh, appeared to be extremely challenging for the pros.  Especially the dh course, with the rain.  I enjoyed Rob Warner's pre-ride by Santa Cruz.  I think I laughed harder at that then I do his race commentary.  Good job, Rob.  If you haven't seen it, check out freecaster.tv.  It's great!!  Congratulations to Danny Hart.  That was truly an inspiring ride. 

Speaking of inspiring.  I do get inspired to ride when I watch these young men and women competing on their bikes.  Giving it everything they've got to be competitive.  Then, I watch with awe, the performances of Juroslav Kulhavy, and Danny Hart....could I still do that at the age of 46?  I have to admit, I am reluctant, but inspired to try. 

In trying, with caution, I find that I can do it.  I ride with the mindset that I love this sport.  I simply enjoy being out on the trails.  Pushing my body to do more than it wants to.  I know my limits, but I still push to get just a bit more each time.  Work through the burn in my legs and lungs.  Intent on managing my breathing so I don't hyperventilate.  And it never ceases to amaze me that my body gives me what I ask for, and my breathing slows...my legs relax...and I begin to realize that I can do it. 

I can still overcome obstacles, and pound up that hill that seems endless.  I can still use that big chain ring to power across the trail, watching the shadows cast by the brilliant sun, pass by as I tick away the kilometers.  And before I know it, I've done it!!!  Another ride is ridden.  I feel the tightness and pulsing throb in my thighs.  The endorphins running rich in my bloodstream.  It feels good.  You are only limited by the limits you place on yourself.

Keep riding.  Keep trying.  Review your limits.  Eliminate that doubt that you can achieve what you set out to do.  Just don't give up!!

Be safe, be aware, be seen.  Get out there and ride your bike!!  Take a friend with you.  Make it fun!!

The Mature Cyclist

No comments:

Post a Comment