Monday, July 18, 2011

The Mature Cyclist

Hello, everyone.  This is my first blog...surprise!!  I am a mature cyclist.  I love cycling of all kinds.  I look at our nation, today, and wonder what will become of it.  We have so many issues affecting so much of our population.  From employment to financial matters...health to education.  I'm not even going to begin to mention politics.  That's a topic all its own.

Rather, I just want to talk about something that is near and dear to my heart.  Cycling.  I love it!!  I love watching it.  And I think it's such a wonderful way for people to bond, exercise, and socialize.  It can be a family event...mom, dad, and the kids getting together to simply ride through their neighborhood or a nearby park.  Heartwarming sight to behold, to be honest.  Or it could be the elderly couple.  Married for 45 years, taking the time to be together and go for a leisurely ride around the block several times.  Perhaps looking back and remembering a time early on in their life together.  Perhaps when they first went on a spontaneous bike ride together.  Not to mention the proud expression on the faces of the young parents of a child who has just acquired command of the two-wheeled, human powered machine.  Chocking up another step toward independence!!

These are all scenes that I have experienced while riding my bike.  Not racing or anything like that...simply riding my bike and taking in the sights, sounds, and smells...not all good.  However, it's the variety that makes the good ones so special. 

While riding, I do my level best to be courteous to pedestrians first.  Because I feel they are the most vulnerable.  Second, to other cyclists, as they are also vulnerable, and they are making a difference in the world, know it or not.  Third, the motorists, which is actually in a constant battle for first because they can, and would kill me!  Then I would never get to follow up on this, my first, Blog.  It isn't always easy to do, and frequently is difficult to say the least.  But I feel it is a responsibility of cycling.

It is my intention to blog my visions of cycling.  I will share whatever experiences cycling provides me, unless it's boring.  Then I'll keep it to myself.  However, if I run across something note worthy, as is often the case because human beings are funnier than a chimpanzee throwing his own poop at a crowd, I will include it in my blog.  If, on occasion, you have something you would like to share concerning cycling, feel free.  Whether it's a cycling event or perhaps a cycling destination, or perhaps a nutrition or medical tidbit.  It would be welcomed. 

I am a Mature Cyclist.  I ride my bike for exercise, enjoyment, and transportation.  I ride alone, and with those that share my passion.  It is my hope that with this blog I may inspire some to take up that ability they learned so many years ago, and once again ride their bikes and remember the freedom they acquired as a child.  Also, move the child to step away from the computer, put down the video game controller, and turn off the TV.  Get your bike, go outside, ride your bike!!  Make friends that do the same.  You are not leaking!  That's called sweat.  It's your bodies way of cleaning out toxins and cool your body.  You will not die so long as you drink.  Water!!!  Not soda!!!  Maybe even convince a couple that has, perhaps, lost touch with each other.  Maybe focused on the day to day things of life, the struggles of making ends meet.  Instead of focusing on living.  Together.  Share the love that brought them together.  To ride their bikes together and remember...  Love is not just a noun, it's a verb as well. 

I hope you enjoyed this little blog o' mine.  I will return again.  And I look forward to hearing from you.

Get out and ride your bike!!!

REMuir1217

No comments:

Post a Comment